Author Topic: Multiple RSS Feeds  (Read 170527 times)

Offline davidq666

• Contributor
  • Watashi Wa Ero Desu!
Re: Multiple RSS Feeds
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 09:46:34 AM »
The multiple RSS-Feed-Support would have two big advantages over using some mash-up to combine feeds:

1.) Usability: it's quicker and provides better oversight to have all Feeds within alt.binz rather than having to go to some website. In this way much like the advantage of having search-tabs instead of using the websites of the search-engines.

2.) Filter-efficiency: The possibitly to have filters apply only to specific feeds allows you to filter with more precision and less filters.

Maybe with addional operatives like [ F 1, 2, 7 ]  [ F 1-7 ] one could keep the filters like they are right now and limit the effect of a specific filter to (a) specific feed(s).

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »
+10 bonbons

Offline Moose

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »
+1 for this from me too, sometimes I wish I could have more than one feed too  :)

Offline d4f0rc3

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »
+1 and maybe you can change the way the filter work a little, maybe make it possible to link the filter to a list of favourite shows (you can customize your favourite shows on tvrage.com and export that list via RSS)

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
How are you proposing that a list of favourite shows should be used to match against RSS titles?

Offline d4f0rc3

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 12:11:23 AM »
RSS is xml so I thought maybe the filter would be able to extract the neccessary data from that xml file.

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 03:24:50 AM »
Yes, but how were you thinking that the info would be used to  match items in the download feed?

e.g.

from TVRage - 'Show Name - (01x06)'

in feed with dirnames as 'Title':

'Show.Name.S01E06.HDTV.XvID-Grp'
'Show.Name.S01E06.720p.HDTV.x264-Grp'
'Show.Name.US.S01E06.720p.HDTV.x264-Grp'
'Show_Name.1x06.DVDRip.Xvid-Grp'

etc.

At the very least you'd need extra filters for different formats.

Offline d4f0rc3

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »
you just need a proper regex to split the xml into the neccessary information and then use them in the filter. sure you have to extract that info with another filter that can handle that xml file. it was just a guess, not a direct request.

Offline davidq666

• Contributor
  • Watashi Wa Ero Desu!
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 02:05:26 PM »
i am all for automation but this one i don't get, because i don't realy see the benefit. i would imaginge that adding/adapting filters within alt.binz manualy isn't realy more work than adding a show to the favorites in tv rage, except maybe changing the season number once a year...

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 03:04:10 PM »
Again, IMHO: mapping the show information from TVRage to the actual items you want to download is no trivial matter if you're dealing with dirnames.  Even getting the show names to match takes some doing.  A simple real-world example:

A - TVRage outputs:
'The Apprentice: You're Fired! - (04x03)'

B - Release is named:
'The.Apprentice.UK.Your.Fired.S04E03.WS.PDTV.XviD-FTP'

How to match A to B?  Once you've allowed for all of the corrections, exceptions, exact vs soft-matching etc. etc. (all needing to be hard-coded), you're still no closer to getting the *format* you want.  Wheras the Alt.Binz filter here would just be:

*apprentice*fired*pdtv* | A

Easy. ;)

Offline Spad

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 04:23:43 AM »
+1

I have to agree with davidq666 here, multiple RSS feeds with their own filter sets would be incredibly useful.

For example, I use a regular feed from tvnzb to autograb my TV shows, but lets say I also want to watch out for a release of a certain TV show's DVD rips on a Newzbin RSS feed. If you're using the same filterset for both you'd end up with a huge number of useless downloads unless you accounted for every possible variation with Deny rules because Newzbin's RSS feed for TV shows will include the scene release, the scene HD release, the german release, the release with hardcoded dutch subs, the home-made release by some guy in Wales, the release for the iPod and so-on. (Yes, I know in reality I'd be using a saved search RSS feed to avoid most of these issues, but I'm trying to making a point here :) ).

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 09:19:09 AM »
lol @ some guy in Wales

What would we do without him. :)

Offline Tagden

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 06:15:38 PM »
+1

I just recently started with the RSS feeds and filters in Alt.binz, and already I wold love to add multiple feeds with different filters.

Offline Matt-VP

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 12:48:05 AM »
This would be a game changer...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 02:16:00 AM by Matt-VP »

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »
Finally, I think we can close this one :)

Alt.Binz 0.38.0 introduces new multi RSS feed/url feature.

Use "RSS" button on the main toolbar to access "Setup RSS" form.
There you can add unlimited number of RSS feeds and each can containin unlimited number of URLs.

Few notes:
"Add new URL" button next to each feed - add new url to feed (green plus)
"Delete" button next to each feed and URL to delete feed(with all URLs) or single url (red x)
"Active" checkbox to enable feed (show feed in RSS tab)
"Auto timer" Push timer button on Alt.Binz startup for that feed
"Add new feed" button (rss icon with green plus)
"Up/Down" buttons to move feed/URL up and down (this way you can rearrange order of feed tabs in main RSS tab and order of URLs)
"Compact DB" If you notice that rss database file is large - hit this button :) (location: "misc\rssdb.abz" - standard SQLite3 database)
"Save" button to save and apply all changes
"Cancel" button to exit "Setup RSS" form without saving or applying changes

Left double click on feed name/url allows you to edit name/url

If there is only single active feed, you will not see feed tab for it.

Edit #1: Your old RSS settings should be converted without any problems to a new format, however don't expect them to be there if you switch back to older version.
Edit #2: Items in the feed are recycled (deleted after 7 days)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:04:29 PM by Rdl »