Author Topic: problems with unrar  (Read 11924 times)

Offline Beng

• Contributor
problems with unrar
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:44:34 PM »
It seems that unrarring is having more and more difficulties. Sometimes alt.binz flags a file with repair failed while in fact the files are fine. A manual unrar works fine in that case. Sometimes there are no .rar or w/e file extension, its just a series of followup numbers as an extension. I such a case i have to use a manual unrar as well.

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
Re: problems with unrar
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
Please try to be more specific and state the steps needed to reproduce such bugs, as only reproducible bugs can be fixed. Note also that Alt.Binz does not yet support joining of splitted files.

Offline Hitcher

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:43:48 PM »
I've been getting the same thing recently.

All the RARs are complete but it wont get unRARed because A.B reports it needs more blocks.

ie [PAR2&Unrar] m-social-720p.par2 needs 916 more blocks, 215 available

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:18:27 PM »
And you are sure that par2 set is created with ok rars and/or that rars you've downloaded unpack ok?

Offline Hitcher

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »
Just happened again -

[PAR2&Unrar] seventwenty-battle.royale.par2 needs 916 more blocks, 215 available

Not sure how to check 'par2 set is created with ok rars' but the RARs unpack perfectly.

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »
I see the problem - obviously there are dumb posters that use idiotic tools written by ppl who obviously don't have a clue what they are doing.
Tool in question is powerpost by camelsystem from dutchieland.

They managed to modify powerpost and screw it up in process by making it include par2 recovery files in par2 set (I'm sure there a award for this kind of dumbness somewhere)

/end of rant

Offline davidq666

• Contributor
  • Watashi Wa Ero Desu!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »
yeah i came across a post like that too and had to lough a little when i saw the repair par2-files listed in the parset. it's like the snail that bites it's own tail :-)

Offline Hitcher

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 07:26:48 PM »
So I'd have to download everything to get Alt.Binz to extract afterwards?

Offline davidq666

• Contributor
  • Watashi Wa Ero Desu!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »
yeah either that or manual rightclick-menue-> unrar. also auto-repair will never work if all repair blocks are listed in the par-set, because it always apears as if there were blocks missing. only manual repair via rightclick-menue->repair. so lets hope the error in the posting software is fixed soon.

Offline winnyuk

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »
I'm seeing this more and more.

I usually manually check with quickpar to confirm all is well and then unzip.

Offline Hitcher

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »
Yep nearly every movie I get has this problem now.

How can we notify the groups about this?

Offline p1nky

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »
this will probably not fix the automatic unrar and the automatic repair, however:

IF you really need to do a repair on one of these fucked sets (if an actual file is incomplete), then just load one of the actual par2 data files (not the small one) and start quickpar with this file (instead of the small one) - the actual data files contain the correct set of files to repair (and do not include the par2 files themselves) and you should then be able to do a par2 repair.

...and of course this is not an abz bug, but a problem with the software that created the par2 files.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 02:46:54 PM by p1nky »

Offline davidq666

• Contributor
  • Watashi Wa Ero Desu!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »
this will probably not fix the automatic unrar and the automatic repair, however:

IF you really need to do a repair on one of these fucked sets (if an actual file is incomplete), then just load one of the actual par2 data files (not the small one) and start quickpar with this file (instead of the small one) - the actual data files contain the correct set of files to repair (and do not include the par2 files themselves) and you should then be able to do a par2 repair.

...and of course this is not an abz bug, but a problem with the software that created the par2 files.

thats an interessting point. in that case u could also set alt.binz pause the small par2 and let in load at least one of the bigger par2 files to use by seting the pause size at 3-5'000'000 bytes...

Offline wvnispen

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »
Please try to be more specific and state the steps needed to reproduce such bugs, as only reproducible bugs can be fixed. Note also that Alt.Binz does not yet support joining of splitted files.

I also experienced weird unrar issues starting from 0.32.1 upwards.   It extracted one out of every 100 downloads and then totally stopped with 0.33.4.   I read all the posts and followed RDL's guide but nothing worked.

I then went to APPDATA\alt.binz/misc and moved copyof_queue and par2info into a tempt folder and restarted alt.binz.

All seems working and downloads are extracting again.

I suspect something went corrupt between 0.31.6 and later releases (at least on my Machine)

Maybe this will help someone with similar issues.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:59:07 AM by wvnispen »

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »
Solution implemented for those retarded par2 files.