Author Topic: NZB.cc Tab forgets sorting order (v0.36.2)  (Read 6903 times)

Offline Slinky

• Contributor
NZB.cc Tab forgets sorting order (v0.36.2)
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »
v0.36.2
NCB.cc tab only

minor annoyance only, not a major bug

Has happened for last few builds now, only just remembered to post the issue

To see the bug.....
Search something, anything, then set sort results by age to newest first, and then perform another search, whether from the global search or in tab search makes no difference, the results will be sorted by a different parameter (not sure which) .... it "forgets" it was set to sort by date, the little arrow in the age box will still be there as you set it, and in the direction it was left in, indicating sort by age column, and newest first... but it does not actually action that until you click it again (twice to get it back how it was set)

Offline Slinky

• Contributor
Re: NZB.cc Tab forgets sorting order (v0.36.2)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »
Further testing on this (now v0.37.1) ..... it would appear that the NZB.cc tab pays no attention to the sort order selected when searching, it will do whatever it likes or wants when you sort, forcing a manual re-selection of the required search order, even whilst displaying one order selected it will action another !

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »
I think that it's not just NZB.cc tab, but all tabs. The problem is that results are returned already sorted by some criteria and I'm not sure it's a good idea to force sorting again. I'm not sure how and when to remove user sorting.
Any ideas?

Currently the only bug I see is that sorting arrow is left instead of removed on search/page refresh.

Offline Slinky

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »
Yes Sorting arrow is left behind as you say.

Personally, if i've set a sort order, i don't want it changing unless i change it :D

So, to answer this.... "I'm not sure how and when to remove user sorting." ...would be to have it install with a default sort setting (arrow visible) of none, or age, newest first, then before searching, save that setting to re-apply later if it does not match the default, then let it do as it does now during search and then re-apply the selection that was previously set.

The problem is that results are returned already sorted by some criteria and I'm not sure it's a good idea to force sorting again
.... no different to me doing it manually.

I think that it's not just NZB.cc tab, but all tabs.
.... hmmmmm, i didn't think so {goes to check with a test :D }

Results - using Rosetta.Stone greek as the search string, and using NZBIndex and NZB.cc tabs for comparison, set both tabs to sort by age, newest first, then use the global search for given string, then go to each tab and look at results, then click the age column button twice to sort them as requested, and perform the search again, and you will see the NZB.cc tab loses it's sort request

Second Test.
To try and understand what you were talking about, i then applied a sort by subject filter, and performed the search again, and the NZBIndex tab sorted by age, newest first, even though i had it set to sort by subject.

So, i see what your getting at...... i'd still say the same though as i did before, apply a default sort by age, newest first unless a review of that setting gives a different setting, and then re-apply that setting after the search has completed, much like a macro command action

EDIT:
now using v0.37.2

And thank you, for taking the time to explain the results come back pre-sorted, and explain why i am seeing the odd effeects i am :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:16:01 PM by Slinky »

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:58:51 PM »
I've changed behaviour for all search tabs.

Changes:
-Sort order cycles through Ascending->Descending->No sort
-Sort is obeyed now until altbinz session finnish