Author Topic: Termination of download if damaged files exceed par recovery amount  (Read 7045 times)

Offline useless

• Contributor
Just a thought, ive seen a few instances that during a downloading that the archive is extremely damaged, and half way through the download you know there aren't enough pars to repair it. Can you make it terminate that download and proceed to the following download and also have a notification pop-up with a sound letting you know about the damaged archive.

Offline d4f0rc3

• Contributor
Re: Termination of download if damaged files exceed par recovery amount
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »
+1 as file corruption seems to increase that feature would be really helpful saving bandwidth and time.

Offline drinkalot

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:51:19 PM »
I may be totally off here, but the actual checking happens after the downloading. Sure it notices broken files which it partially downloads,
but that would require checking of the entire download every time after you downloaded one file, as if you're running quickpar with monitoring on.
Probably inefficient use of resources.

Sounds like a good idea though, very curious if RDL manages to make it so :)

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:51:52 AM »
I guess it should be more straightforwardly a matter of checking whether the number of missing blocks in the already downloaded files (so after retries & decoding of each) is more than the available number of repair blocks, and doing ... something user-configurable.

This doesn't factor in edge-cases like if the par2 files themselves have missing blocks, or decoding is delayed, but would probably be good enough for cautious users who want to control the process a bit more.

Offline coreying

• Contributor
A month ago I would have been +1'ing this request.
But I've recently discovered the concept of the "Backup Server" in Alt.Binz, and since then have not had a single circumstance where I've run out of PAR2 files.

For example, I used Astraweb and they had an issue where lots of data from about 18 months to 6 months ago got corrupted. They weren't able to recover it. As such, even downloading something relatively new (such as in the time period of the previous posts) may not complete due to the damaged blocks outnumbering the available PAR2. Worse still, the PAR2 files are just as likely to have damaged blocks as the rar files.

A solution is to add (another) "block usenet account" as a Backup Server. This UseNet provider has to be a different provider to your primary UseNet provider. You can't just use another server or account from your Primary provider. By "block account" I mean a UseNet provider which lets you pay $x for yGB and those GB do not expire with time. For example, http://blocknews.net/ have a $4.50 for 10GB with no time period. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Once you've configured a Backup Server, when Alt.Binz detects a damaged or missing block, it then automatically downloads that block from the backup server - no user interaction required.

In the past month I've been going back to download things which had previously failed due to excessive damaged/missing pieces. Thus far I've been able to get every single download. Some of the time, it hasn't even needed to use the PAR2 files!

Offline useless

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:49:48 PM »
wonderful we're so happy for you but the problem is still possible and needs addressing

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:43:58 PM »
Tone down the sarcasm please, no need for it here.
Regarding request, I'll take a look in next few days.

Offline useless

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »
my apologies  :-[

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
Added.

Setup->Misc #3->Pause collection when there is not enough par2 blocks to repair
Default = Unchecked