Author Topic: Astraweb $11 Special  (Read 11637 times)

XboxUser

Astraweb $11 Special
« on: October 13, 2008, 10:17:24 PM »
For those who don't already know: http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

Pretty awesome special they are doing, $11/month with no download or speed limit. I've been using it myself and have had no problems, its great :D

Honda

Re: Astraweb $11 Special
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:02:46 PM »
I use it now for a few months and till now i have no problems. The retention is good also.

Fast email support and great prices. I changed my subscription from 3 months to $11 Special.

Offline Claude

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:32:26 AM »
I'm already with astraweb at 15$ per month. :(

How can i take advantage of this offer? do i have to cancel and then re apply to get the 11$ per month offer?

Offline earthcrisis

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
No, you can convert your account.

I got that answer from the support:

°°°
The $11 dollar account is the same as the Unlimited DSL account. If you would like to, you can convert your account:

If you would like to upgrade your account, please signup again for your new account on our website.

When prompted for your username/password, do not proceed. Instead, email us your new order number and username and we will convert your account. A pro-rated refund will be issued on your previous order.
°°°

So write the support and they will tell you the same and what you must do :)

Offline Claude

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »
No, you can convert your account.

I got that answer from the support:

°°°
The $11 dollar account is the same as the Unlimited DSL account. If you would like to, you can convert your account:

If you would like to upgrade your account, please signup again for your new account on our website.

When prompted for your username/password, do not proceed. Instead, email us your new order number and username and we will convert your account. A pro-rated refund will be issued on your previous order.
°°°

So write the support and they will tell you the same and what you must do :)

Yup I contacted them and they converted my account. :)

johntash

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 05:49:00 AM »
Has anyone here who uses Astraweb also used Giganews?     I have an unlimited ssl GigaNews account now and it maxes out my modem's connection around 4.2-4.3/mbs usually.     If Astraweb's reliable, I'm thinking about switching just to save some money.  I don't mind losing a bit of retention. 

Offline scarney

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »
Has anyone here who uses Astraweb also used Giganews?     I have an unlimited ssl GigaNews account now and it maxes out my modem's connection around 4.2-4.3/mbs usually.     If Astraweb's reliable, I'm thinking about switching just to save some money.  I don't mind losing a bit of retention. 

i switched to astraweb from giganews 3 months ago now ($39 3mo package) couldnt be happier!
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum."

Offline WarezMyGF

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »
Can Astraweb max out a 20Mbit connection in the US - East Coast?

Looks like there server is in West Coast. :c(

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 06:45:41 PM »
Can Astraweb max out a 20Mbit connection in the US - East Coast?

Looks like there server is in West Coast. :c(
Last time I tested I got 150-160 Mbps on europe server and ~120Mbps on US. Much higher then with Giga

TheElectricGlidingWarrior

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 07:33:43 PM »
Has anyone here who uses Astraweb also used Giganews?     I have an unlimited ssl GigaNews account now and it maxes out my modem's connection around 4.2-4.3/mbs usually.     If Astraweb's reliable, I'm thinking about switching just to save some money.  I don't mind losing a bit of retention. 
I used Giganews for about a year before I switched to Astraweb on the $11 permonth special. IMO retention is the only aspect in which GN beats AW. I'm completely happy with AW account and it maxes out my 10Mb connection easily. And of course, it's great value for money.

Offline Mech0z

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
I use xennews atm and really dont know what their max is I only have 6Mbit (Could anyone check with their free trail? http://www.xennews.com/) but do astraweb allow shareing connections? Thats the main reason I have Xennews (And 200 days rentation)

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »
I use xennews atm and really dont know what their max is I only have 6Mbit (Could anyone check with their free trail? http://www.xennews.com/) but do astraweb allow shareing connections? Thats the main reason I have Xennews (And 200 days rentation)

Astraweb allow connection from one IP per user at any time

Offline davidq666

• Contributor
  • Watashi Wa Ero Desu!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 03:36:07 PM »

Unlike Hitnews Xennews doesn't allow account-sharing as far as i know... check with their support

Offline Mech0z

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »
Wierd, me my brother and a friend have been sharring for 4 month now with no issue. (That was Xennews)

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 06:33:22 PM »
Note @ 12 Mar 2009 4:59 AM:

https://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=19

Updated Server Connection Settings

We have updated our server connection settings to make things more consistent, and in particular, to allow some strict checking news reader clients* to work.
The old settings will eventually be phased out. You are advised to update your settings at the earliest convenience.

The new settings are:

General Servers (Non SSL) on ports 119, 23, 1818 or 8080:
- news.astraweb.com
- eu.news.astraweb.com (European servers)
- us.news.astraweb.com (U.S. servers)

Secure Servers (SSL) on ports 443 or 563.
- ssl.astraweb.com
- ssl-eu.astraweb.com (European servers)
- ssl-us.astraweb.com (U.S. servers)

If you should have any problems with these new settings, please contact Support for assistance.

* NZB-Omatic and NZB-Omatic-Plus was one of the news readers that did not work with our previous multi-field wildcard Common Name in our SSL certificate. It has now been verified to work properly.