Author Topic: Usenet Alternative to Astra  (Read 7850 times)

Offline networkn

• Contributor
Usenet Alternative to Astra
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:43:42 AM »
Hi There!

Due to a huge increase in my bandwidth speed, and the fact I don't seem to be able reach capacity due to some issue they won't sort, I am now considering alternatives to Astra for usenet. My preference is Pay as you go type plans where you can buy 90GB for $25 or something like that. Ideally I would like someone who has servers in the South Pacific or as close to Australia or NZ as I can.

Thanks for any recommendation.

Offline Jesus

• Contributor
Re: Usenet Alternative to Astra
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:57:54 PM »
You'll still need an Astraweb block account for a fill or backup server.  If you don't want to do that, keep it as your single server and forget about alternatives.  Cheapest block is 1TB for $50 from Newsgroupdirect offered only on occasional Tuesdays, like once a month.  Locations are Washington DC and Amsterdam.  Giganews has locations in Los Angeles and Hong Kong but doesn't offer block accounts.  Astraweb's US server is located in San Jose.

Offline networkn

• Contributor
Re: Usenet Alternative to Astra
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:01:10 AM »
Thanks. I tried a few other vendors over the last few days like xennews and thundernews and the speeds were considerably worse. May just need to persist with Astra.