Author Topic: Please use different PAR repair program for alt.binz.. It's now 2014!  (Read 3981 times)

Offline xbones0013

• Contributor
Can we please use a different par repair program?  The current par is just too unreliable.  More often than not, with large applications, if there is any type of error, instead of par repairing it, it hangs and stalls out.  I have to go into task manager, end the par2.exe process, then run another par program such as, "Multipar".

This has been on going for such a long time with many different users.   Yes I've tried going into %appdata%/local/altbins and deleting the par.exe and letting alt.binz redownload it..

However nothing is resolving this issue as it's with the EXE and not alt.binz itself. 

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease use something like multipar and change the commands in Altbinz to use that program to repair.

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
Re: Please use different PAR repair program for alt.binz.. It's now 2014!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:47:53 AM »
Moved this to Requests, as that's what it is. In the 7 years that I've been using Alt.Binz now, I can honestly say that I can count on the fingers of one hand the times that I've had problems with PAR2 repair, so don't assume that you speak for all users.

That said, it might satisfy those who think there are better alternatives to the highly optimized Alt.Binz version of par2.exe to allow drop-in replacement with another client like Multipar that's built from the same source and has a comparable API.

You can of course achieve this to an extent already using an Execute on Completion script instead, and just run your client on the download folder.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:52:16 AM by Hecks »

Offline Ward

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:32:31 AM »
I used to notice a lot of difficulties with repairing par sets on my older machine, ever since I upgraded to a new machine for downloading I haven't had any issues with it at all. Perhaps a lack of memory or processing power is stalling alt.binz during par2 operations.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:34:49 AM by Ward »

Offline dangel

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 08:26:54 PM »
I'd also vote for an update to par2 - I've had it fail on plenty of occasions where multipar succeeds (just had another instance tonight for example).   The built in one might be well optimized but it simply isn't quite as good as multipar anecdotally speaking.  Speed/memory use isn't a primary concern - results are of course.  Will look into using external par2 though - perhaps I can even write an extension that deals with that and the unrar afterward if necessary.

Offline zoned

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 12:53:49 AM »
Which is better I don't know, recently though I noticed that. Quickpar was able to repair files that Multipar and other par software's couldn't repair.

Offline dabrown

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »
I am noticing for a simple missing .nfo file, that alt.binz correctly downloads a 1 or 2 block par2 recovery file, yet still fails to recovery the file without me manually adding another par2 block file, which then causes the program to recheck all the files again, and the repair is then usually performed correctly.

This is not isolated, this happens nearly every time there is a missing .nfo.

If there is a missing block from a .rar part, alt.binz tends to download a bigger par2 recovery block and the repair does seem to work correctly.

To save time, if I can see there is a .nfo and it's missing from the download set, I have just unpaused the first two par2 recovery files, which is usually three blocks in total, that way, the par2 repair actually does work.  I've made a change to the import as paused menu to unpause small par files which are smaller than 8KB - this might save me doing it manually.

On a side note, is alt.binz using the optimized phpar2 as it's par2 recovery?

Thanks.  Regards, Darren