Author Topic: v 0.24.1 unresponsive (but works)  (Read 3639 times)

emtec666

  • Guest
v 0.24.1 unresponsive (but works)
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:48:13 AM »
Upgraded to 0.24.1 and noticed the program will become almost unresponsive when downloading (though it works)

Copied back the old 0.24 .exe and it works fine again as usual

I'm on old hardware (Celeron 900, 512 Mb) so maybe something has changed which causes alot more more CPU power, or something else :?:

Offline Rdl

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 3976
v 0.24.1 unresponsive (but works)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 03:35:35 PM »
A bit more info is needed. Download speed? SSL? Cpu usage? While downloading, while decoding?

emtec666

  • Guest
v 0.24.1 unresponsive (but works)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
Download speed: 8 Mbit (max)
SSL: no
CPU usage: 75-90 % (general)

Actually I think the CPU usage is important but it's related to the decoding from the temp folder: when I still used Grabit I specifically lowered the process priority for decoding otherwise it would effect download speed. The downside of this was there would be a decoding lag: after downloading a few Gb's the downloading would be ready but the decoding from the temp folder to the download folder could take several minutes or even half an hour. But in the mean time I could do everything with my comp.

I noticed 0.24.1 has a separate temp/download folder which wasn't there in 0.24.0. so I think it's the decoding process that causes the freezing somehow in combination with the fact I have a very low end CPU (so others might not notice it)

I have changed nothing in my setup by the way (PAR checking & repairing & auto unRAR have always been de-activated)