Author Topic: Donation.  (Read 9150 times)

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
Re: Donation.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 10:52:46 PM »
I only listed ones that are directly comparable with the latest version of Alt.Binz in terms of features, including integrated search, which excludes vanilla Grabit and SABnzbd (both are comparable to 0.25.0 in its current state).  Feel free to add any more to the list if they meet the criteria.

There's nothing 'up in the air' about the donations system, and Alt.Binz is not a commercial product.  If it was, you can guarantee that the price would be way higher than the typical donations received & accepted, which are a lot lower than those other apps.  A minimum isn't specified, as this would become a de facto price.  Only those attempting to donate tiny amounts are rejected.  There were 50 attempts to donate 0.01 euro last week, which after Paypal fees = 0.  It's not difficult to understand - and 1,600+ Contributors seem to have managed it without complaints so far.  The truth is, Alt.Binz is still the best bargain out there.

Anyway, I'm breaking my own rule by talking about what's been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere in the forum, and I'm boring myself to tears just reading my own words.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:04:44 PM by Hecks »

Daedalus21

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 08:55:15 AM »
Well, people deserve to be paid for their work right? The donation scheme just seems weird. Most people do just what you said, set a price that you can charge to a card and say take it or leave it. That's the way most of the world works. Since it does not make as much sense to do it any other way, I'm still going to chalk it up to some sort of banking issue. If the weird donation thing is the only way for the developer to keep AltBinz alive, then I say power to him. Btw, no one said donating via Paypal was difficult to understand did they? I mean it is not some mystic secret or anything. I'm supremely confident I could 'manage it' if I wanted. As for adding to your list, I don't think I will. It seemed somewhat unsolicited and I'm pretty sure you and I are not the only ones who can do a google search.

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
There's nothing 'weird' about the donation scheme - there's plenty of donationware out there that works in a similar way.  It has nothing to do with a banking issue.  My other comments weren't directed at you.  Unsolicited or not, the list is relevant to the discussion - at least, I hope it brings some perspective to it.  Clearly the 0.01 euro crowd can't google.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:06:28 PM by Hecks »

Offline JohnA

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 07:10:20 PM »
It has nothing to do with a banking issue. 

I think the reference is to Paypal and how it eats up a big chunk of small donations...

-- John

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »
Oh, I see you're now a Contributor, welcome & enjoy. Be sure to install the new multicore par2.exe from New Versions forum as well, it's sweet. :)

Offline JohnA

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 09:12:34 PM »
Thanks!  And thanks for your patience in all of this...  I will certainly give the new software a try.

-- John

Oh, I see you're now a Contributor, welcome & enjoy. Be sure to install the new multicore par2.exe from New Versions forum as well, it's sweet. :)

Daedalus21

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 06:24:39 PM »
Quote from: Hecks
There's nothing 'weird' about the donation scheme

Oh yes there is too. But that's just opinion.

Quote from: Hecks
there's plenty of donationware out there that works in a similar way.

Really? Name three. I don't disbelieve you but I can't think of many good donationware programs that have the same model. Mirc, for example, works on the honor system. Perhaps our definition of donationware differs. The fact that I can't think of many good donationware programs which you can only use the current version AFTER you donate, is not the main reason I think it is weird. Whatever, as I said there must be a reason it is the way it is. But I'm probably not going to do the donation thing on principle alone. Usually when I 'donate' I don't expect to get anything in return. When I buy something, I expect to know exactly what I'm getting and for how much and I want to trial a working version of the version I intend buy first. At any rate, carry on. Version 25.0 is a really good program. Based on that I imagine the newer versions are too. But I don't really know that for sure now do I?

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 06:47:55 PM »
"But I don't really know that for sure now do I?"

Of course you do.  Now who's being disingenuous?  You get 0.25.0 for free, and if you donate you get lifetime upgrades.  The rest is just blah blah.  So stick with 0.25.0 and continue enjoying the fruits of Rdl's labour for free, nobody here will judge you for that, since that's what the developer has offered. 

Your self-justifying bullshit is another matter, though: do us all a favour and just take it somewhere else.  if you don't want to support the developer, then fine.  But don't think for a minute that anyone believes that there's a principle at stake here.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:53:08 PM by Hecks »