Author Topic: Download speed  (Read 3401 times)

collecttoymaniac

Download speed
« on: August 15, 2007, 05:35:46 PM »
Hi, i have just set up Altbinz and gone through a tutorial and it all seems to be working. Im currently downloading at 200 kB/s can i make this any faster?  I have gone to setup to try to increase the number of connections but i can only seem to get 1 connection also all the server information that i put in has gone, but the download is continuing. What i have noticed is that i have some text below the settings menu on the left saying that the program needs to be restarted but when i restart the same message is there and all the server settings have gone.

Im using 2mb broadband, im using news,usenetserver.com as the server and im on windows xp and alt binz latest version

Thanks in advance for any replies

Offline Hecks

• Contributor
  • naughty cop
Download speed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:27:47 PM »
First, have a look through the info here:

http://www.altbinz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787

You can safely ignore the restart text on the Setup menu, that's just a flag for any asterisked settings (Alt.binz needs to be restarted when changing these only).

To increase your number of connections, first disconnect Alt.binz, then go to Setup > Servers, double-click on your Server entry so that the info comes up, then edit the Connections box, then click Apply and close Setup.  Then connect again and check your log for any connection errors.

If you're on Vista, make sure to run as admin.

-Hecks

collecttoymaniac

Download speed
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 09:19:11 PM »
Hi thank you for the help ive got it remembering the settings now, i have just a couple more questions if you have a moment. Im using the usenet server which has 10 connections so ive set the number of connections on altbinz to 10 , is this correct a friend said that cause i was on 2mb broadband i would need no more than 3 or 4 connections to get my max speed?, also the max download speed im getting is 230kb/s ive set my download speed to 2000 so 230 doesnt seem that fast?

regards Collecttoymaniac

Offline Rdl

• Administrator
Download speed
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:24:53 PM »
Quote from: "collecttoymaniac"
Hi thank you for the help ive got it remembering the settings now, i have just a couple more questions if you have a moment. Im using the usenet server which has 10 connections so ive set the number of connections on altbinz to 10 , is this correct a friend said that cause i was on 2mb broadband i would need no more than 3 or 4 connections to get my max speed?, also the max download speed im getting is 230kb/s ive set my download speed to 2000 so 230 doesnt seem that fast?

regards Collecttoymaniac

It depends on your inet provider & your usenet provider. You have to experiment a little to see minimum number of connection you need to fill your bw.

2mbps = 2 megabits per second
230KB/s = 230 kilobytes per second

Alt.Binz reports speed in kilobytes per second.